经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)五篇范文

时间:2019-05-13 08:29:24下载本文作者:会员上传
简介:写写帮文库小编为你整理了多篇相关的《经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)》,但愿对你工作学习有帮助,当然你在写写帮文库还可以找到更多《经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)》。

第一篇:经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)

经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)

Proficiency in a particular line

Gong sun Long , is a famous scholar lived in the State of Zhao during the Warring States Period(475-221BC).He had kept a circle skilled people around him.He often said, “A wise man should welcome anyone with a specialty.”

One day, a man dressed in tattered and dirty clothes came to see him and said to him:“ I have a special skill.”

Gong asked: “What is it?”

“I have a loud voice and I'm good at shouting.”

then Gong turned to his followers and asked,“ Who is good at shouting?” But none of them answered “Yes ”.So the scholar took the man in.Some days later, Gong and his followers went on a trip.they came to a wide river and found the ferryboat was on the other side of the river.All of them had no idea.Suddenly, Gong thought of the shouting expert and turned to him, “Can you have a try?” The man realized it was the chance to show his skill.He shouted to the ferryman as loud as he could, “Hey, ferryman, come here, we want to cross the river.” As his voice ended, the ferryman came to fetch them.Gong was very satisfied with the new follower.Later, people use it to describe anyone who has a special professional skill.一技之长

战国时期,赵国有位名士叫公孙龙。他手下聚集了许多有自己特长的门客。他常说:“一个聪明人应该善于接纳每一个有自己特长的人。”

一天,有一个穿着很破烂的人来见他,并向他推荐自己:“我有一项特别的本领。”公孙龙就问道:“什么本领?”那个人回答道:“我声音特别大,很善于叫喊。”公孙龙听了,就转身问他旁边的门客:“你们有谁善于叫喊?”结果没有一个人回答“是”。于是,他就收下了这个很善于叫的人作他的随从。

没过多久,公孙龙和他的门客一起出外游玩。他们来到一条很宽的河边,发现渡船在河的另一头,所有人都不知怎么办好。突然,公孙龙想起他最近收的那个人的本领是善于叫,于是,他就转过头去对那人说:“你大声叫对面的船夫,看能不能把他叫过来。”那人觉得展示他技能的时候到了,就尽力大声向对面喊:“ 喂,船夫,过来,我们要过河。”当他叫声刚完,那对面的船夫就摇着船过来了。公孙龙对这个新收的门客非常满意。

后来,“一技之长”就用来形容一个人有一项特殊的本领。

第二篇:成语故事(中英对照)

抱薪救火

战国末期,秦国向魏国接连发动大规模的进攻,魏国无力抵抗,大片土地都被秦军占领了。到公元前273年,秦国又一次向魏国出兵,势头空前猛烈。

魏王把大臣们召来,愁眉苦脸地问大家有没有使秦国退兵的办法。大臣们由于经过多年的战乱,提起打仗就吓得哆嗦,谁也不敢谈“抵抗”二字。在这大兵压境的危急时刻,多数大臣都劝魏王,用黄河以北和太行山以南的大片土地为代价,向秦王求和。

谋士苏代听了这些话,很不以为然,忙上前对魏王说:“大王,他们是因为自己胆小怕死,才让您去卖国求和,根本不为国家着想。您想,把大片土地割让给秦国虽然暂时满足了秦王的野心,但秦国的欲望是无止境的,只要魏国的土地没割完,秦军就不会停止进攻我们。”

说到这里,苏代讲了一个故事:从前有一个人,他的房子起火了,别人劝他快用水去浇灭大火,但他不听,偏抱起一捆柴草去救火,是因为他不懂得柴草不但不能灭火反而能助长火势的道理。大王若同意拿着魏国土地去求和,不就等于抱着柴草救火吗?”

尽管苏代讲得头头是道,但是胆小的魏王只顾眼前的太平,还是依大臣们的意见把魏国大片土地割让给秦国。到公元225年,果然秦军又向魏国大举进攻,包围了国都大梁,掘开黄河大堤让洪水淹没了大梁城,魏国终于被秦国灭掉了。

故事出自《史记·魏世家》。成语“抱薪救火”比喻用错误的方法去消灭祸害,结果反而使祸害扩大。

Carrying Faggots to Put Out a Fire In the last years of the Warring States period, the State of Qin attacked the State of Wei on a large scale repeatedly and occupied large areas of land, for the State of Wei was too weak to defend itself.In 273 B.B., the qin army launched another attack upon the State of Wei with a momentum more vigorous than ever.The king of the State of Wei summoned his officials,and asked with a worried look if anyone could propose a way to defeat the Qin army.After years of chaos caused by the wars,the officials trembled when fighting was mentioned, and no one dared to speak ofresistance.At the critical moment when a large enemy force was bearing down upon the border, most of the offinials persuaded the king to sue for peace, at the cost of giving away to the State of Qin the large area of land north of the Huanghe River and south of the Taihang Mountain.However Su Dai, a counsellor, did not agree.He hurried up to the king and said:“Your Majesty, they don't think about the interests of the country at all.It is just because they are cowardly and afraid of death that they ask you to sue for peace by betraying the country.Of course you can temperarily satisfy the ambition of the king of the State of Qin is insatiably greedy.It will never stop assaulting us until our land is totally given away.”Once there was a man whose house was on fire.People told him to put out the fire with water, but he would not listen.Instead, he carried a faggot to put out the fire, only to make the fire fiercer.That was because he didn't know that,instead of putting out the fire, faggots could only make it burning more vigorously.Isn't it equivalent to carrying faggots to put out a fire if you agree to sue for peace at the cost of the land of the State of Wei?“Though Su Dai's argument was very convincing, the king accepted the suggestion of those officials and gave away to the State of Qin a large area of the land of the State of Wei.For the king of the State of Wei was cowardly and only cared for peace at the moment.As might be expected,the Qin army assaulted the State of Wei on a large scale in 225 B.C.,surrounding the capital city Daliang and flooding it by digging open the dykes of the Huanghe River.The State of Wei was finally destroyed by the State of Qin.This story appears in the Historical Records Written by Sima Qian.The set phrase”carrying faggots to put out a fire"is used to mean adopting a wrong method to save a situation and ending up by making it worse.

第三篇:中英对照彩图成语故事集锦

中英对照彩图成语故事集锦

一、中国古代成语故事 1.惊弓之鸟

Birds Startled by the Mere Twang of a Bowstring

战国时期(公元前403―221年中国中原地区各诸侯国连年争战的时代)魏国有个名叫更羸的人。一天,他对国王说:“我只要拉开弓,空射一下,就能把天上的鸟射下来。”国王不相信。更羸便对准天上飞来的一只雁射去,果真那只雁听到拉弦的声音就掉了下来。国王感到很奇怪。更羸说,“那是一只受过伤的雁。它一听到我拉开弓弦的声响,就惊慌得支持不住,自然要掉下来了。”

In the Warring States Period, there was a man in the State of Wei called Geng Lei.One day he said to the king: 'I can shoot down birds by simply plucking my bowstring.' When the king expressed doubt, Geng Lei pointed his bow at a wild goose flying in the sky, twanged the bowstring, and the goose fell to the ground.Geng Lei said, 'This goose has been hurt in the past.Hearing the twang of the bowstring, it assumed that it was doomed.So it simply gave up trying to live.'

寓意1:“惊弓之鸟”这个成语比喻受过惊恐之后,有一点动静就特别害怕。

This idiom means that if one has been frightened in the past one's will may become paralysed in a similar situation.寓意2:后人根据上面的故事,形成了“惊弓之鸟”这个成语,形容先前多次受过惊吓的人,忽然遇到同样可怕的事物,就吓得魂飞魄散,惊惶失措,不知如何去应付新的环境。

Henceforth comes the idiom “A bird startled by the mere twang of a bow-string”, illustrating a case where a man who had been previously and repeatedly frightened became numb and stupefied by a new thing of the same nature not knowing how to face the new situation.例1:汤姆越狱後, 时时如惊弓之鸟, 生怕再次被捕。

Since he escaped from gaol, Tom has been living on a razor's edge, terrified of recapture.例2:地震之后,那个地区的人都成了惊弓之鸟,稍有风吹草动就要逃到街上去。

People there became so frightened after the quake that they would run into the streets once they sensed something wrong.2.毛遂自荐

Mao Sui Recommending Himself

战国时代,秦国军队攻打赵国的都城。赵国的平原君打算亲自到楚国去请救兵,想挑选一个精明能干的人一同前去。有一个名叫毛遂的人,自告奋勇愿意同去。平原君到楚国后,与楚王谈了半天,没有一点结果。毛遂怒气冲冲地拿着宝剑,逼近楚王,终于迫使楚王答应出兵,与赵国联合共同抵抗秦国。

In the Warring States Period, the State of Qin besieged the capital of the State of Zhao.Duke Pingyuan of Zhao planned to ask the ruler of the State of Chu personally for assistance.He wanted to select a capable man to go with him.A man called Mao Sui volunteered.When the negoti-actions between the two states were stalled because the ruler of Chu hesitated to send troops, Mao Sui approached him, brandishing a sword.At that, the ruler of Chu agreed to help Zhao, against Qin.“毛遂自荐”这个成语用来比喻自己推荐自己,不必别人介绍。This idiom means to recommend oneself.例1:当老师问到有没有人愿意为孤寡老人服务时,同学们各个毛遂自荐,教室里一时热闹非凡。

When the teacher asked if anyone would like to help the childless old, all the students

offered to take the duty and the classroom was at once full of noise and excitement 例2:将来说不定您会需要一位新的译员。因而在此不揣冒昧,特致函向阁下毛遂自荐,敬请原谅。

Someday in the future you may have need for a new interpreter.So I take the liberty of writing you here to to offer myself for a position in your corporation.例3:然后她坦率地告诉他自己曾是一个妓女,她想毛遂自荐作为他的一个情妇。

After that,she told him frankly that she was a prostitute, and she wondered whether she could offer herself as his mistress.3.世外桃源

A Haven of Peace and Happiness

东晋的文学家陶渊明写了一片著名的文章叫《桃花源记》。叙述一个渔人出外捕鱼的时候,偶然来到了桃花源这个地方。从这里通过一个山洞,发现了一个村子,这里的居民是秦朝时避难人的后代。这是一个与世隔绝、没有剥削和压迫、人人安居乐业的美好社会。渔人告别村民回家以后,再也找不到这个地方了。

Tao Yuanming, a famous writer of the Eastern Jin Dynasty(317-420), wrote the well-known essay Peach-Blossom Spring.In it he tells a story which goes like this: A fisherman happened to come upon a place called Peach-Blossom Spring.Squeezing through a cave, he found a village, the residents of which were descendants of refugees from the Qin Dynasty.It was a paradise isolated from the outside world, without exploitation or oppression, and everybody living and working in peace and contentment.The fisherman left the villagers and went home.But he could never find the place again.后来,由这个故事产生了“世外桃源”这个成语,用来比喻与世隔绝的、理想的美好世界。This idiom is derived from the above story, and is used to mean an isolated, ideal world.例1:进入九寨沟如同进入世外桃源一般,人间烦恼都会置于脑后。

Upon entering the resort, you will find yourself strolling in a haven of peace, leaving behind nothing but earthly troubles and vexations.例2:西藏的确是世界上最后一个世外桃源。来到这儿,我感觉好像置身于一个世外桃源。

Tibet is really the world's last Shangri-La, and when I came here, I felt as if I had been in a different world.4.南辕北辙

Going South by Driving the Chariot North

从前有个人要到南方去,他坐的车子却向北方行驶。过路人说:“你去南方,车子怎么向北行驶呢?”他回答说:“我的马很能跑路,我的车夫驾车的技术也很高明,加上我又带了充足的路费。”这个人没有考虑到,方向弄反了,他的条件越好,离他要去的地方就越远。

Once a man wanted to go to the south, but his carriage was heading north.A passer-by asked him: 'If you are going to the south, why is your chariot heading north? ' The man answered, 'My horse is good at running, my driver is highly skilled at driving a carriage, and I have enough money.' The man didn't consider that the direction might be wrong;the better his conditions were, the further he was away from his destination.后来人们就把这个故事概括为“南辕北辙”,比喻一个人的行为和他的目的正好相反。

The idiom derived from this story indicates that one's action was the opposite effect to one's intention.例1:经过7年的时间,法院从第一审至第二审的判决结果竟然出现南辕北辙的情形。After 7 years, from First Trial to Second Trial, both outcomes actually were very different.例2:故事背景在1963年纽约,叙述一名风流成性的杂志记者(伊旺麦奎格)与一名女权主义专栏作家(瑞妮齐薇格),他们理念南辕北辙,却终于坠入爱河的故事。

This is the story, set in New York City in 1963, of a budding romance between womanizing journalist and playboy Catcher Block(McGregor), cleverly described as a ”man's man, ladies' man, man about town”, and a strident feminist advice columnist, Barbara Novak(Zellweger), who finds her own rules of love contradicted by her attraction to the cad.5.画龙点睛

Putting the Finishing Touch to the Picture of a Dragon

南北朝(公元420--589)时期,有个画家叫张僧繇。有一次,他到一个寺庙去游玩,在墙壁上面画了四条龙,可是都没有画出眼睛。看画的人觉得很奇怪,问他为什么不画出眼睛。他说:“眼睛是龙的关键,画上眼睛,龙就会飞走了。”大家不相信他说的话。张僧繇拿起笔来,刚给两条龙点上眼睛,立刻电闪雷鸣,两条龙飞向天空,墙上只剩下两条没有画眼睛的龙。In the Southern and Northern Dynasties Period(420-589), there was a painter called Zhang Sengyou.Once he visited a temple and painted on the wall four dragons, but gave none of them eyes.The onlookers felt that this was odd, and asked why he hadn't painted the eyes.He answered, 'Eyes are crucial for dragons.With the eyes painted on, the dragons would fly away.' Nobody believed this, so Zhang Sengyou took up his brush and added eyes to two of the dragons.No sooner had he finished than the two dragons flew into the sky amid a thunderstorm.The two without eyes stayed painted on the wall.“画龙点睛”这个成语用来比喻讲话或写文章时,在关键地方加一两句重要的话,使内容更加生动有力。

This idiom is used to describe how, when writing or speaking, one or two key sentences will enhance the contents.例1:正是这幅画起到了画龙点睛的作用。

The action that make the finishing point reached since this picture just about.例2:这盏灯对我的房间的装饰起了画龙点睛的作用。

This light adds the crowning touch to my room decoration.6.画蛇添足

Drawing a Snake and Adding Feet

战国时代有个楚国人祭他的祖先。仪式结束后,他拿出一壶酒赏给手下的几个人。大家商量说:“我们都来画蛇,谁先画好谁就喝这壶酒。”其中有一个人先画好了。但他看到同伴还没有画完,就又给蛇添上了脚。这时,另一个人也画好了,夺过酒壶吧酒喝了,并且说:“蛇本来是没有脚的,你怎么能给它添上脚呢?”

In the Warring States Period, a man in the State of Chu was offering a sacrifice to his ancestors.After the ceremony, the man gave a beaker of wine to his servants.The servants thought that there was not enough wine for all them, and decided to each draw a picture of a snake;the one who finished the picture first would get the wine.One of them drew very rapidly.Seeing that the others were still busy drawing, he added feet to the snake.At this moment another man finished, snatched the beaker and drank the wine, saying, 'A snake doesn't have feet.How can you add feet to a snake? '

“画蛇添足”这个成语比喻做了多余而不恰当的事,反而把事情弄糟了。This idiom refers to ruining a venture by doing unnecessary and surplus things.例1:对一个这样漂亮的女孩来说,化妆有些画蛇添足。

For such a beautiful girl, to use make-up would be to gild the lily.例2:我觉得这幅画是十分完美的,如果在角上再添上些花,倒有画蛇添足之感了。

The painting, as it is, seems perfect to me.If you ad some flowers in the corner, you will be painting the lily.7.班门弄斧

Showing Off One's Proficiency with the Axe Before Lu Ban the Master Carpenter

古代有一个建筑和雕刻技术非常高超的人,名叫鲁班,木匠行里尊称他为祖师。传说他曾用木头制作了一只五彩斑斓的凤凰,能够在空中飞翔三天不掉下来。在鲁班门前摆弄斧子,当然显得有些自不量力了。

Lu Ban was supposed to be a consummate carpenter in ancient times.It is said that he once carved a wooden phoenix that was so lifelike that it actually flew in the sky for three days.Thus it was considered the height of folly to show off one's skill with an axe in front of Lu Ban.“班门弄斧”这个成语,用来比喻在行家面前显示本领。

This idiom excoriates those who show off their slight accomplishments in front of experts.例1:就不要教鱼儿游泳了/别再孔夫子门前卖弄文章了,那是班门弄斧/在关公门前耍大刀(教你的祖母如何吸吮生鸡蛋)。

Never offer to teach fish how to swim since that's to teach your grandmother to such eggs.例2:你的菜煮得比我好,我当然就不想班门弄斧了。

Your cooking is better than mine, and I certainly prefer not having to bother to cook at all.8.怒发冲冠

So Angry That One' s Hair Lifts Up One' s Hat

战国时代,赵国的大臣蔺相如出使到秦国。在他向秦王索回玉璧的时候,秦王蛮不讲理,蔺相如气愤得连头发都竖了起来,向上冲着帽子。

In the Warring States Period, Lin Xiangru, chief min-ister of the State of Zhao, was sent as an envoy to the State of Qin to ask the ruler of Qin to return a fine piece of jade to Zhao.But the ruler of Qin was rude and unreasonable.Lin was angry, and his hair stood up so stiffly on his head that it lifted up his hat.后来人们用“怒发冲冠”这个成语形容人愤怒到了极点。This idiom came to be used to mean being extremely angry.例1:和高达2亿1千万的解聘金相比,过剩的木工们拿到的补偿简直让人怒发冲冠。

Next to his $210m severance pay, the redundant woodworkers' packages were mean to the point of provocation.例2:(华盛顿)奇才队可能对好时坏,一个晚上好得不错,第二个晚上就会很糟糕,因此会惹他们的带头人乔丹生气,抑或使他勃然大怒,甚至怒发冲冠。

The Wizards will probably play well one night, horribly the next, frequently earning their leader, Michael Jordan's anger, then his wrath, then maybe his rage.9.画饼充饥

Allaying Hunger with Pictures of Cakes

三国时代魏国的皇帝曹睿,准备选拔一个有才能的人到朝廷来做官。曹睿对他的大臣说:“选择人才,不能光找有虚名的人。虚名好像是在地上画的一块饼,只能看,不能解决肚子饥饿的问题啊!”

In the Three Kingdoms Period(220-280), the king of the Wei, Cao Rui, wanted to select a very capable man to work for him.He said to his ministers: 'When choosing a talented person, always beware of one with a false reputation.A false reputation is just like a picture of a cake;it can' t relieve hunger.后来人们就用“画饼充饥”这个成语比喻用空想安慰自己,不能解决实际问题。

Later, this idiom came to be used to mean comforting oneself with unrealistic thoughts, without solving practical problems.例1:不管是望梅止渴,还是画饼充饥,它都会激励你不停手中的桨,去追逐哪怕是一星微小的火光。

Even if there is only a fantasy or an illusion, so long as it shows a ray of hope, it still urges you on in pursuit of the glimmer without letup.例2:成语“画饼充饥”就来自于皇帝所说的话。寓意空言于事无补/无济于事。

The idiom came from what the emperor said.i.e.Kind/Fair words butter no parsnips.10.一鸣惊人

Amazing the World with a Single Feat

战国时代,齐威王即位后做了三年国君,只顾享乐,不理政事。有个善于说笑话的人叫淳于髡,一天对齐威王说:“城里有一只大鸟,三年不飞也不叫,你知道这是什么道理?”齐威王说:“这鸟不飞则罢,一飞就冲天;不鸣则罢,一鸣就惊人。”在淳于髡的激发下,齐威王开始治理国家,取得很大成绩,齐国的声威一直保持了几十年。

In the Warring States Period, Duke Wei of Qi neglected state affairs, for the first three years of his reign, giving himself over to dissipation.One of his ministers, Chun Yukun who had a good sense of humour, said to him: 'There is a big bird which has neither taken wing nor sung for three years.' The duke answered, 'Once that bird starts to fly and sing, it will astonish the world.' The duke thereupon devoted himself to his duties and built his state up into a powerful one.“一鸣惊人”用来表示平时默默无闻,一旦行动起来,却做出惊人的成绩。

This idiom is used to indicate that a person may rise from obscurity and achieve greatness.例1:不鸣则已一鸣惊人。

It never rains but it pours.例2:比尔盖茨20岁时创建了微软公司,他的表现真是一鸣惊人。Bill Gates made a great coup to establish Microsoft Company.例3:全球经济在联合会的领导下,不飞则已,一飞冲天!Global economy under federation's leadership, Does not fly then already, As soon as flies soars to the heavens!

11.守株待兔

Sitting by a Stump, Waiting for a Careless Hare

春秋时代,宋国有个农夫,一天在耕田的时候,忽然跑来一只兔子,恰巧碰在树桩上,脖子折断死了。农夫把兔子拾回家去,美美地吃了一顿兔肉。晚上他想:“我何必辛辛苦苦地种地呢?每天在树下能捡到一只兔子就够我吃的了。”于是,他从此不再耕作,每天坐在树下等待兔子的到来。

In the Spring and Autumn Period, a farmer in the State of Song was one day working in the fields when he saw a rabbit bump into a tree stump accidentally and break its neck.The farmer took the rabbit home, and cooked himself a delicious meal.That night he thought, 'I needn't work so hard.All I have to do is wait for a rabbit each day by the stump.' So from then on he gave up farming, and simply sat by the stump waiting for rabbits to come and run into it.“守株待兔”这个成语,讥笑那些不想经过努力,存在侥幸心理,希望得到意外收获的人。This idiom satirizes those who just wait for a stroke of luck, rather than making efforts to obtain what they need.例1:当亚瑟王知道这个消息时,他非常愤怒。他立即回到了不列颠。他和他的骑士们到达了多佛。在多佛他碰到了莫德雷德和他的军队。他们正在守株待兔。

When King Arthur heard the news, he was furious.He returned toBritainimmediately.He and his knights arrived inDover.Here he found Mordred and his army.They were waiting for him.例2:恋爱就像打喷嚏,不经意间总能打得出来,刻意要打一个却总是打不出来。(爱情常常不属于那些穷追不舍的猎人,而属于那些守株待兔的人。

Love is like sneezing, you always do it spontaneously, but you can't sneeze on purpose.(Love belongs to those love hunters rather than those ask for luck.)

12.曾子杀彘

Zengzi Slaughters a Pig

曾子的妻子到集市上去,他的儿子哭着要跟去。他的母亲说:“你回家呆着,待会儿我回来杀猪给你吃。” 她刚从集市上回来,曾子就要捉猪去杀。妻子劝止他说:“只不过是跟孩子开玩笑罢了。” 曾子说:“不能跟孩子开玩笑啊!小孩子没有思考和判断能力,要向父母亲学习,听从父母的教导。现在你欺骗他,这是教孩子骗人啊!母亲欺骗儿子,儿子就不再相信自己的母亲了,这不是实现教育的方法。” 于是曾子就杀猪煮肉给孩子吃。

Zengzi's wife was going to the market.Her little son insisted on going with her, making a tearful scene.“Stay at home,” she said to the boy.“When I come back, I will slaughter a pig for you.” When she came back, Zengzi got ready to slaughter the pig.His wife stopped him, saying: “I was just kidding.” “A child is not to be kidded like that!” he replied.“A child does not know much and cannot judge for himself.He learns from his parents and listens to what they day.To lie to him is to teach him to lie to others.If a mother lies to her son, he will not trust her anymore.How is she then to educate him?” With that Zengzi went to slaughter the pig and prepare a good meal for their son.“曾子杀猪”这个成语寓意教育子女要注意言传身教不能以欺骗作为手段,做任何事都要说到做到,不能说谎。要做到言必行,行必果,这样才能获到他人信任。

The idiom means that attention to the education of their children should be paid to teach by personal example and verbal instruction and don't deceive and tell lies to them.Do what you say and put it into effect.To achieve Yanbi trip, will visit fruit.Only in this way can be trusted to others.例1:要从“曾子杀猪”成语中汲取教训,凡事要说到做到。

We should take a lesson from the idiom “Zengzi Slaughters a Pig” that we must do well what we said.例2:要像成语“曾子杀猪”所说的那样,言必行,行必果。

As the idiom “Zengzi Slaughters a Pig” saying, do what you say and put it into effect.13.狐假虎威

Basking in Reflected Glory

老虎在山林里捉到了一只狐狸,要吃掉它。狐狸连忙说:“你不能吃我,我是天帝派来统治百兽的。你要吃了我,就违抗了天帝的命令。你不信,就跟我到山林里去一趟,看百兽见了我是不是都很害怕。”老虎相信了狐狸的话,就跟在狐狸的后面走进山林。百兽见了果然都纷纷逃命。老虎以为百兽真的害怕狐狸而不知道是害怕自己,于是就把狐狸给放了。

A tiger caught a fox in a forest, and was just about to eat it, when the fox said, 'You mustn't eat me.I was sent by Heaven to rule the animals.By eating me, you will violate the command of Heaven.If you don't believe me, just follow me to see whether the animals are of me.' The tiger agreed, and followed the fox as it walked around the forest.The animals all ran away on seeing them.The tiger thought they were of the fox, so he let it go.He didn't realise that it was him that the beasts were really of.“狐假虎威”这个成语用来比喻倚仗别人的势力去欺压人或吓唬人。This idiom means relying on another's power to bully or frighten others.例1:我们始终希望看到他们坚强地维护自己的自由--而且要记住,在历史上,凡愚蠢地狐假虎威者,终必葬身虎口。

We shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own freedom, and to remember that in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.例2:接下来的节目是从中国成语《狐假虎威》改编,表演者是亨廷顿中文学校学生。

The following is a short skit performed by students from the Huntington Chinese Program.The skit is based on a traditional Chinese story about a smart little fox.例3:真的希望有一天能同老虎一起共游密林,也许我也可以狐假虎威一下,成为森林的王者呢。

Really hope to travel in a deep forest with a tiger someday, maybe I could become the woods' overlord by right of the tiger's authority.例4:“别狐假虎威了”,说完她扔掉了有人在街上递给她的有关装神弄鬼的小册子。

“Don't ride the back of the tiger”, when finished what she said, she threw away the clerical pamphlet passed out to her by someone on the street.14.破镜重圆

A Broken Mirror Made Whole Again

南朝陈国(公元557-589)将要灭亡的时候,驸马徐德言把一面铜镜破开,跟妻子各留下一半。双方约定:如果将来夫妻失散了,就把它当作信物。后来,夫妻二人真的失散了,凭借着各人留下的半面镜子,他们最终又得到团圆。

In the Northern and Southern Dynasties when the State of Chen(A.D.557-589)was facing its demise, Xu Deyan, husband of the princess, broke a bronze mirror into halves.Each of them kept a half as tokens in case they were separated.Soon afterwards, they did lose touch with each other, but the two halves of the mirror enabled them to be reunited.“破镜重圆”这个成语比喻夫妻失散或分离后重新团聚。

This idiom is used to refer to the reunion of a couple after they lose touch or break up.例1:翠娘与元宝这对欢喜冤家最终也破镜重圆。

Cuiniang and Yuanbao finally make up their differences and resume their married life.例2:友谊就像陶器,破了可以修补;爱情好比镜子,一旦打破,很难破镜重圆。但约翰和玛丽在过去八个月的日子里却经历了破镜重圆。

Friendship is like earthenware:once broken, it can be mended, love is like a mirror:once broken that ends it.But John and Mary experienced a break up to make up in 8 months time.15.一鼓作气

Rousing the Spirits with the First Drum Roll

春秋时代,齐国派兵攻打鲁国。鲁国的国王鲁庄公带着谋士曹刿指挥作战。齐军第一次击鼓以后,鲁军准备发起进攻。曹刿说:“不行。”齐军三次击鼓以后,曹刿才说:“现在可以进攻了。”结果齐军大败。战斗结束后,鲁庄公问曹刿胜利的原因。曹刿说:“打仗要靠勇气。第一次击鼓,士气十分旺盛;第二次击鼓,士气有些衰落;第三次击鼓,士气就消耗尽了。敌人士气耗尽,我们发起进攻,所以取得了胜利。”

During the Spring and Autumn Period, an army from the State of Qi confronted one from the State of Lu.After the first roll of drums from the Qi side to summon Lu to battle, the Lu ruler wanted to attack.But his counsellor Cao Gui said, 'We should wait until the third drum roll, sire.' After the Qi side had beaten the drums three times, the Lu army attacked and defeated the Qi army.After the battle, the king asked Cao Gui the reason for his odd advice.Cao Gui answered, 'Fighting needs spirit.Their spirit was aroused by the first roll or the drums, but was depleted by the second.And it was completely exhausted by the third.We started to attack when their spirit was exhausted.That's why we won.'

后来,“一鼓作气”形容鼓起劲头,一下子把事情干完。

This idiom later meant to get something done with one sustained effort.例1:今天我一鼓作气背了50个单词。

I memorized 50 new words at one fling today.例2:登山队员们继续前进,希望最后一鼓作气地到达山峰。

The climbers kept on in the hope of reaching the top with one last effort.16.掩耳盗铃

Plugging One's Ear While Stealing a Bell or Deceive Oneself

从前有一个小偷,跑到一户人家里想偷点东西。他看见院子里挂着一口大钟,高兴极了,心想:这口钟一定很值钱!于是,他便想把这口钟搬回家去。可是,钟非常沉,他怎么搬都搬不动。后来,他想到了一个办法,那就是把钟敲碎之后分别搬回家。小偷找了一把大锤子,使劲朝钟砸去,可是,刚一砸就发出了很大的响声。小偷慌了,急忙用手捂住耳朵,结果,钟声不见了。小偷想,捂住自己的耳朵,别人就听不见钟声了,于是又开始砸钟。结果,人们听到钟声之后,全都从家中跑出来,一下就抓住了小偷。

In the ancient time, there was a thief who went to someone's house to steal.He saw a big bell hanging in the courtyard.The thief was very happy and he thought the bell looked valuable.Then, he decided to carry this beautiful bell back home.But the bell was too big and heavy.No matter how hard he tried, he could not move it.Later, he thought there was only one way to solve the problem.He had to break down the bell into parts before he was able to carry them back to his home.The thief found a big iron hammer, with which he struck the bell with all his might.But the striking produced a loud noise and even scared the thief.But when he covered up his ears he could no longer hear the noise.The thief became cheerful at once and thought the sound of the bell would not be heard by anyone if he covered up his own ears.Feeling relieved, he began striking the bell again, one blow after another.The sound of the bell was heard at distant places, and finally people caught the thief from tracing the sound.“掩耳盗铃”这个成语指的是捂住耳朵偷铃(钟)。比喻自己欺骗自己,明明掩盖不了的事情偏要想办法去掩饰。例:这种做法无疑是掩耳盗铃,自己欺骗自己。

This way of doing things is undoubtedly like plugging one's ear while stealing a bell.They are deceiving themselves.17.邯郸学步

Slavish Imitation of Others and Loss of One's Own Individuality

公元前475年-公元221年的战国时期,燕国有个青年,他听说赵国都城邯郸的人走路姿势特别好看,于是这位年轻人决定瞒着家人去学习邯郸人走路的姿势。就这样,他来到了邯郸。迎面走来一个和他年龄相仿的人,看见那人走过,这位燕国的青年便跟在他后面开始模仿。那人迈左脚,燕国青年也迈左脚,那人迈右脚,燕国青年也迈右脚。然而,他一扭头又看到另一个中年人,他又觉得那人走路的姿势很好看,于是又跟着中年人学走路。后来他又看到一位妇女,又跟着学……。

转眼好几个月过去了,燕国青年越学走路的姿势越不好看,不仅没学会邯郸人的走法,而且还把自己原来的走路姿势也忘了。这时,带来的钱也已经花光,他只好回家,可是他又忘了自己原来是怎样走路的。无奈,燕国青年只好在地上爬着回去了。

During the Warring States Period(475to secretly make a small hole in the wall and let a glimmer of light come in through the hole.This stealing light allowed him to study until late at night.When he was grown up he became a very famous scholar in the Western Han Dynasty.“凿壁借光”这个成语是说偷借邻居家的灯光读书。后来指在艰苦的条件下坚持刻苦学习。The original meaning of this idiom is to make a hole in the wall and read a book by stealing the light from a neighbor.Later it came to refer to studying under very hard conditions.例:学习是很艰苦的事情,需要有凿壁借光的精神。

Studying is very hard.The spirit of “stealing the light from neighbor” is necessary.19.朝三暮四

Three in the Morning, Four in the Evening

从前,宋国有一个老人,他在家中养了许多猴子。老人每天都会给每只猴子八颗栗子,早晚各四颗。后来,猴子越来越多,老人也越来越穷,所以他想每天只给猴子七颗栗子,于是他就和猴子们商量:“从今天开始,我每天早上给你们四颗粟子,晚上给你们三颗栗子,行不行?” 猴子们想了一想,晚上怎么少了一颗呢?于是大叫起来,非常不愿意。老人一看,连忙说:“那么我早上给你们三颗,晚上再给你们四颗,可以了吧?” 猴子们听了,以为晚上的粟子已经由三个变成四个,跟以前一样,就高兴地同意了。

Once upon a time, there lived an old man in Song Kingdom, who raised a lot of monkeys at home.The old man fed each monkey eight acorns every day, four in the morning and four in the evening.Later he fed so many monkeys that he had not enough acorns.So he wanted to feed monkeys seven acorns each day.Then he discussed with his monkeys, “From today on, I will give each of you four acorns in the morning and three acorns in the evening.Is that O.K.?” Hearing this, all the monkeys got angry.How come lack one in the evening? Then the old man changed to say, “I'll give each of you four acorns in the morning and three acorns in the evening.” Thinking that there were still four in the evening, all the monkeys became happy again.“朝三暮四”这个成语原意是指实质不变,用玩弄手段,改换名目的方法使人受骗上当。后引申为,说话、办事反复无常、不负责任。

Three in the morning, four in the evening: The idiom originally means to fool others by playing tricks.It later extends to mean changing one’s mind frequently or not being responsible.Other expressions: to play fast and loose or to chop and change

例1: 你一旦有了目标就要做下去,千万不能朝三暮四,否则最后只会一事无成。

Once you have an object, do not chop and change, otherwise you'll accomplish nothing.例2:他已经有了女朋友,还朝三暮四,所以女朋友和他分手了。He's already got a girlfriend, but he still dates to “play fast and loose ”, so his girlfriend parts w/ him.20.自相矛盾 Self-Contradiction

很久很久以前,楚国有一个商人,一天他到市场上去卖自己制造的矛和盾。他大声的叫卖,有很多人围过来看,他举起盾说:“我的盾是世界上最坚固的,无论怎样锋利的东西也不能刺穿它!” 接着,他又拿起一支矛,得意地说:“我的矛是世界上最锋利的,无论怎样坚固的东西也能刺穿!”这时一位围观的人上前拿起他的一支矛和一面盾问道:“如果用这支矛去刺这面盾,结果会怎样呢?” 这个人一下子回答不出来,最后只好灰溜溜地扛着矛和盾走了。Once upon a time, there was a businessman in Chu Kingdom.One day, he sold his spear and shield in the market.He told people, “My spear is the sharpest spear in the world.It can pierce everything.And my shield is the solidest in the world.Nothing can destroy it.” Then somebody asked him, “If we use your spear to pierce your shield, what will happen?” The businessman didn’t know how to reply.“自相矛盾”这个成语比喻语言、行动前后不一致或互相抵触。Be self-contradictory both in words and behaviour.例1:你说手机没电了,却刚给他打了电话,这不是自相矛盾吗?

You said his cell phone ran off power but you called him just now.Isn't it contradictory? 例2:你刚才的话前后自相矛盾,别人不知道该怎么理解。

What you said is self-contradictory.People don't know how to understand it.21.愚公移山

The Foolish Old Man Who Moved Mountains

很久以前,有一位名叫愚公的老人,他家门口有两座高山,家人每天进出都要绕很远的路!有一天愚公对家人说:“我们把挡在门口的两座大山移开吧,让门口的路可以直通到外面的大路上,好不好?”儿子和孙子都很赞同,可是愚公的妻子却说:“那大山的泥土搬到哪儿呢?”愚公回答:“可以搬到海里去呀!” 第二天愚公就开始了移山的工作。这时候,别人对愚公说:“你已经这么老了,还要去移山?就算让你搬到死也不可能把大山移走呀!” 愚公笑着回答:“我虽然很老,但我还有儿子,儿子还会生孙子,孙子又会生儿子,我们的子孙可以一直搬下去,总有一天会把这两座山搬走的。”后来,这件事传到了天神的耳朵里,天神想:“愚公真是有恒心的人!我来帮帮他吧!”天神就派神仙去把那两座山背到别的地方去,不再挡在愚公家门口了。

Long long ago, there lived an old man named Yugong.There were two huge mountains in front of his house and blocked his way to the outside world.One day Yugong said to his family, “Let's move the two mountains away and clear away our road!” This idea was welcomed by his family members.“But where do we put the earth on the mountain?” asked his wife.“We can dump them in the sea.” said Yugong.So they set out to work the next day.One of the neighbors saw it and asked, “You are already an old man.How can you finish this huge project?” Yugong answered with a smile, “Although I am old, I have sons and grandsons.And they will have their sons and grandsons as time goes.If I am too old to finish it, it will be continued on by my offspring.So long as we keep at it, we'll manage it someday.” Yugong's words were later heard by God.God thought, “Yugong is a man of strong wills.Let me help him!” So he sent his men to move away the two mountains.“愚公移山”这个成语比喻做事情有毅力,有恒心,不怕困难。Refer to do sth.with constancy and perseverance.例1:只要具备了愚公移山的精神,就能把汉语学好。

One can learn Chinese well so long as he has the spirit as that of Yugong moving away the mountains.例2:他这个人干事很有愚公移山的精神。

He does things as consistently as Yugong's moving away the mountains.二、外国成语习语汉译

A little piece of advice.让我来给你点建议。

A piece of cake.轻而易举。

Another day, another dollar.和往常一样。

Anywhere but here.除了这里,哪里都好。

Are you doing anything this afternoon? 你今天下午有安排吗?

Are you ready for tomorrow? 明天的东西都准备好了吗?

Are you trying to get rid of me? 你想把我轰走吗? Big mouth.多嘴!

Come and get it!饭做好了,来吃吧!

Could you call back later? 您能过会儿再打来吗?

Could you do me a little favor? 能不能帮我一个小忙? Diana's been coming on to Jack.戴安娜对杰克有意思。

Did I miss something? 这是怎么回事?

Did you punch in/out? 打出勤卡了吗?

Do as I said.照我说的做!

Do I make myself clear? 我说得够清楚吗?

Do the dishes!把盘子洗了。

Don't cut in line.别夹塞儿!

Don't go back on your words.别食言。

Don't take it out on me.别冲我发火。

Don't take on more than you can.做你能做的。Don't be stuck-up.别那么自命不凡。

Don't bite off more than you can chew.人要有自知之明。

Don't get me started on it.别让我打开话匣子。

Don't judge a book by its cover.人不可貌相。

Don't pull my leg.别逗了。

Don't slack off!别偷懒!

Don't talk back to me.别跟我顶嘴。

Don't think you can make a fool out of me.别把我当傻瓜。

Don't work too hard.悠着点儿。

Even up the odds.扳回劣势。

Everything but this.除了这个,其他都行。

Far from it.正好相反。

Fill me in.跟我说发生什么事了。

Finish up your plate.把饭吃光。

Get off my back.别再啰唆了。

Get out of my way!滚开!

He chickened out at the last moment.他在最后关头胆怯了。

He's not at his desk right now.他现在不在座位上。

Her line is busy now.她正在接电话。

He's a chain smoker.他抽烟抽得没完没了。

He's got guts.他真有勇气。

He's not my type.他不是我喜欢的类型。

He's on edge today.今天他情绪烦躁。

He's quite well off.他非常有钱。

He's very hard on me.他对我很不客气。

How about a rain check? 另找时间可以吗?

How did it go today? 今天怎么样?

How late are you open? 你们营业到几点?

How soon can you get it ready? 还要多久才能好呀?

Hurry up and get dressed.快换衣服。

I don't have all day.我没时间跟你耗。

I don't seem to fit in here.我跟这里格格不入。

I don't have any appetite.我没有一点食欲。

I don't have much money on me now.我现在没有多少现金。

I don't know what came over me.我不知道自己是哪根筋不对。I don't like brownnosers.我讨厌爱拍马屁的人。

I don't see eye to eye with my wife.我和妻子没什么共同语言。

I feel a little tipsy.我觉得有点醉了。

I feel like sleeping.我想睡觉。

I feel sluggish.我浑身没劲。

I feel the same way.我有同感。

I get drunk easily.我的酒量小。

I have a hangover.我昨天的酒还没醒呢。

I have a one-track mind.我是一根筋。

I have a sweet tooth.我爱吃甜食。

I have diarrhea.我拉肚子了。

I have no clue.我一点头绪(线索)都没有。

I have stiff shoulders.我肩膀酸痛。

I have to rush.我得赶紧走!

I hope our dreams come true.我希望我们的梦想成真。

I like your sense of humor.我喜欢你的幽默感。

I made it.赶上了。

I see what you mean.我了解你的意思。

I sprained/twisted my ankle.我崴脚了。

I think he has a crush on you.他好像看上你了。

I want something to eat.我想吃点东西。I want to take a nap.我真想睡个午觉。

I was being polite.我这是在说客气话。

I was cut off.电话断了。

I was only late by 30 seconds.我只迟到了30秒钟。

I work for the government.我在政府机关做事。

I would like to talk to you for a minute.我想和你谈一下。

I wouldn't look at it like that.我不会从这个角度来看。I'll come by all means.我一定会来的。

I'm a night person.我是个夜猫子。

I'm an office worker.我是上班族。

I'm glad to see you again.很高兴再次见到你。

I'm happy to meet you.很高兴见到你。

I'm looking forward to seeing you.我期望见到你。

I'm supposed to get a raise.我应该涨工资。

I'm with you./ I'm on your side.我站在你一边。

I've just got one of those faces.我是大众脸。

Is there someone else? 你是不是有了新欢?

Is this seat taken? 这位子有人吗?

It comes and goes.时好时坏。

It has nothing to do with me.这跟我一点关系都没有。

It's all there for a reason.它自有其存在的道理。

It's been a long day.今天忙了一天。

It's good to be home.还是家好哇。

It's now or never.机不可失,时不再来。

It's on the tip of my tongue.话就在嘴边上。

It's stuffy in this room.这间屋子通风真差。

I'll let you off.我会放你一马。

I'll put him on.我让他接电话。

I'll put you through.我把电话给您接过去。

I'm a good judge of character.我看人很准。

I'm a workaholic.我是个工作狂。

I'm all ears.洗耳恭听。

I'm all thumbs.我笨手笨脚的。

I'm broke.我身无分文。

I'm counting on you.我全靠你了。I'm loaded.酩酊大醉。

I'm pressed for time.我的时间安排很紧。

I'm starving.我快饿死了。

I'm tone-deaf.我五音不全。

I'm walking on air.我高兴得飘飘欲仙。

I've got to go.我得走了。

Janet is a knockout.珍妮特真迷人。

Lay low for a while.保持低调。

Let me put it this way,...我这样说好了,…… Let you in on a little secret.告诉你个小秘密。

Let's call it a day.今天就到这里。

Let's fold up the futon.把被子叠好。

Let's get back to the subject.言归正传。

Let's get going.那我们走吧。

Let's not jump the gun.别操之过急。

Let's play it by ear.走一步看一步吧!

Let's spread out the futon.铺床吧。

Like finding a needle in a stack of needles.像海底捞针一样。

Mary is out of John's league.约翰配不上玛丽。

May I have my allowance? 能给我点儿零花钱吗?

May I take a message? 您要给他留言吗?

No hard feelings.请别见怪,不伤和气。

No kidding!开玩笑吧。

Please go easy on me.手下留情。

Please scrub the sink.把厨房的池子刷干净。

Pull yourself together.打起精神来!

Put it on my tab.记在我的账上。

Shall I come to pick you up? 要我开车去接你吗?

Shall I have him call you back? 是不是让他给您回电话?

She hung up on me.我还没说完她就把把电话挂了。

She's a newlywed.她刚刚结婚。

She's a smooth talker.她的嘴甜着呢。

She's good for nothing.她一无是处。

So far, so good.到现在为止还好。

So that explains it.原来如此。

Sorry, I'm tied up.真对不起,我另有安排。

Sorry, we're sold out.对不起,票卖完了。

Stop goofing off.别偷懒!

Sweet dreams.做个好梦。

Take your time.慢慢来,不用着急。

Tammy eats like a bird/horse.塔米饭量很小/大。

That serves you right.你活该。

That will not always be the case.情况不会永远是这样。

The phone went dead.电话不通。

The work doesn't need much effort.这工作不太费事。

There is no turning back.已经无可挽回了。

There is nothing good playing.没好电影可看。

There is something about him.他一定有特别之处。

There you are.原来你在这儿啊!

There's no turning back.没有退路。

There's no other way of saying it.没有别的说法。

There's really no point in doing it.真没必要做这件事。

Think twice before you do it.三思而后行。

This is not how it looks.事情不是表面看来的这样。

This one is on me.这顿算我的!

Today is payday.今天发工资。

Tom is a lady-killer.汤姆是个美男子。

Use your head!动动脑子!

Watch you tongue.说话要留神。

Watch your step!注意脚下!

We don't have any other choice.我们没有其他的选择。

We had a falling-out.我们感情不和。

We split it, fifty-fifty.我们平分账单。

We'll fake it.差不多就得了。

What a shame!真是太遗憾了!

What do you want from me? 你到底要我怎样?

What have we got here? 看我们找到了什么?

What have you got to lose? 你有啥好损失的?

What time can you come over? 你几点能来?

What took you so long? 怎么那么久? What's this all about? 这是怎么回事?

What's the hurry? 急着干什么去呀?

Where are you off to? 你去哪儿?

Where do we go from here? 我们接下来要怎么做?

Why all the trouble? 干嘛费那么大劲?

Why are you picking on me? 你干吗老挑我的刺儿?

Why is this happening to me? 这为什么发生在我身上?

Would you help me put up the clothes to dry? 你能把衣服晾上吗?

Would you help me set the table? 你能帮我准备餐具吗?

Would you like a refill? 再来一杯,怎么样?

Would you like to go to a movie? 你想去看电影吗?

Would you like to hold? 您等会儿行吗?

You are getting on my nerves.你真让我心烦。

You are making fun of me.你拿我开涮呢。

You ask for it.你自作自受。

You bet.行!没问题!

You can't be too careful.你要再三小心。

You got that right./ There you go 你终于抓到诀窍了。

You had your time.已经给过你机会了。

You have a way with people.你很有交际手腕。

You have only one shot.你只有一个机会。

You should finish what you start.你别半途而废。

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.你不该对自己这么苛刻。

You shouldn't say things like that.你怎么这么说呢?

You stand me up!你放我鸽子!

You won't regret it.你不会后悔的。

You're cut out to be a teacher.你天生是当老师的料。

You're going to love it here.你一定会喜欢上这里。

You're well on the way.你学得不错。

You've got me.让你问住了。

From One Sentence A Day(To Be Continued)

第四篇:英语成语故事

天衣无缝

Divine Garments Without Seams

There was a man called Guo Han in the Tang Dynasty(618-907).One summer night, when the moon was very bright he suddenly saw a girl descending slowly from the sky.He observed the girl closely, and found that the dress she was wearing was seamless.He was puzzled, and asked why.The girl answered,“Heavenly clothes are not sewn with needle and thread.” This idiom is used metaphorically to indicate the flawless handling of things.It can also be used to indicate a perfectly written poem or other literary article.唐朝有个人教郭翰。一个夏天的晚上,月光非常明亮,他忽然看见天空中有个女子轻盈而缓慢地飘落下来。他仔细地观察那个女子,发现她身上穿的衣服连一条缝也没有,感到非常奇怪,便问那个女子。女子回答说:“天衣本来就用不着针线缝合的呀!”

这个成语用来比喻处理事情十分周密,不露一点痕迹。也比喻诗文写得很精辟,找不出一点毛病。

黔驴技穷

从前,贵州没有驴子,有人从外地带回一头驴子,拴在山下,一只老虎看到了,以为是什么怪物,急忙躲到树林中去头头地瞧。驴子大叫一声,老虎吓了一跳,以为驴子要吃掉自己。时间一长,老虎觉得驴子没有什么恶意,逐渐走近去戏弄它,触犯它。驴子生气了,用蹄子踢老虎。老虎心里想:“你的本领不过就是如此啊!”于是立刻扑过去,一口把它咬死吃掉了。这个成语比喻仅有的一点本事也用完了,在没有别的办法了。The Guizhou Donkey Has Exhausted It's Tricks In ancient times there were no donkeys in Guizhou province.Somebody brought a donkey from somewhere and tied it to a tree at the foot of a mountain.A tiger saw the donkey, and thought that it must be a fearsome monster.It hide behind a tree and spied on the donkey.When the donkey brayed, the tiger was frightened, thinking that the donkey was about to devour it.After a while, seeing that the donkey had not moved, the tiger approached it and teased it.The donkey became angry, and kicked the tiger.The tiger thought to itself:“It then all it is capable of?” It then jumped on the donkey and ate it.This idiom is used to mean that one has exhauseted one's skills.破镜重圆

A Broken Mirror Joined Together

This set phrase metaphorically means the reunion of husband and wife after an enforced separation or a rupture.At the end of Southern Dynasties,when the Chen Dynasty was about to be overthrown.Xú Déyán felt very worried.He foreknew that his wife Princess Lè Chāng was destined to separate from him.His wife is the last Emperor Chén Shūbǎo's younger sister.Hence he broke a round bronze mirror into halves.One half is given to the Princess,the other half left with himself.The couple agreed on it that the wife would pretend to sell the broked mirror in the street of Cháng'ān,the capital of the Suí Dynasty,on the Lantern Festival.After the fall of Chén Dynasty,Princess Lè Chāng was captured and sent to Chang'an and forced to be a concubine-servant in the mansion of Yáng Sù.Xú Déyán missed his wife very much and went to the captial to look for her.On the 15th day of the first lunar month,he found a man selling half the mirror.After asking the man,he knew that his wife had been a concubine-servant of Yáng Sù.Thinking that he could not see her again,he sighed a great sorrow.Having known the matter,Yáng Sù felt much sympathy for the couple.He sent for Xú Déyán and told him to take wife away.Thus the husband and the wife were reunited into a happy couple.自相矛盾

A man of the state of Chu had a spear and a shield for sale.He was loud in praises of his shield.“My shield is so strong that nothing can pierce it through.” He also sang praises of his spear.“My spear is so strong that it can pierce through anything.” “What would happen,” he was asked, “if your spear is used to pierce your shield?” It is impossible for an impenetrable shield to coexist with a spear that finds nothing impenetrable.刻舟求剑

A man from the state of Chu was crossing a river.In the boat, his sword fell into the water.Immediately he made a mark on the boat.“This is where my sword fell off,” he said.When the boat stopped moving, he went into the water to look for his sword at the place where he had marked the boat.The boat had moved but the sword had not.Is this not a very foolish way to look for a sword?

井底之蛙

Have you not heard of the frog that lived in a shallow well? It said to a turtle that lived in the East Sea, “I am so happy!When I go out, I jump about on the railing beside the mouth of the well.When I come home, I rest in the holes on the broken wall of the well.If I jump into the water, it comes up to my armpits and holds up my cheeks.If I walk in the mud, it covers up my feet.I look around at the wriggly worms, crabs and tadpoles, and none of them can compare with me.Moreover, I am lord of this trough of water and I stand up tall in this shallow well.My happiness is full.My dear sir, why don't you come often and look around my place?” Before the turtle from the East Sea could get its left foot in the well, its right knee got stuck.It hesitated and retreated.The turtle told the frog about the East Sea.“Even a distance of a thousand li cannot give you an idea of the sea's width;even a height of a thousand ren cannot give you an idea of its depth.In the time of King Yu of the Xia dynasty, there were floods nine years out of ten, but the waters in the sea did not increase.ln the time of King Tang of the Shang dynasty there were droughts seven years out of eight, but the waters in the sea did not decrease.The sea does not change along with the passage of time and its level does not rise or fall according to the amount of rain that falls.The greatest happiness is to live in the East Sea.” After listening to these words, the frog of the shallow well was shocked into realization of his own insignificance and became very ill at ease.Hide the ears and stole the bell(掩耳盗铃)

Once upon a time,there was a very foolish man.But he himself didn't think so.He thought that he was very clever.One day,he saw a family hanging up a beautiful bell.He liked the bell and wanted to steal it.But if he put his idea into practice,he must touch the bell,and the bell would make a noise.Then other people would hear the noise and catch him.How to avoid the state? Suddenly a good idea came across his mind.He took action.The man hide his ears behind his hands.Then he used his right arm to leave his right hand.He took his right hand to steal the bell.The bell rang,but he could't hear it.The people heard the bell ringing and caught the man.But the man was still very confused and asked:“How did you hear the noise?” Ha ha,what a foolish man!

Amazing the World with a Single FeatIn the Warring States Period, Duke Wei of Qi neglected state affairs, for the first three years of his reign, giving himself over to dissipation.One of his minister, Chun Yukun who had a good sense of humour, said to him:”There is a big bird which has neigher taken wing nor sung for three years.” The duke answered, “Once that bird starts to fly and sing, it will astonish the world.” The duke thereupon devoted himself to his duties and built his state up into a powerful one.This idiom is used to indicate that a person may rise from obscurity and achieve greatness.战国时代,齐威王即位后作了三年国君,只顾享乐,不理政事。有个善于说笑话的人叫淳于髡,一天对齐威王说:“城里有一只大鸟,三年不飞也不叫,你知道这是什么道理?”齐威王说:“这鸟不飞则罢,一飞就冲天;不鸣则罢,一鸣就惊人。”在淳于髡的激发下,齐威王开始治理国家,取得很大成绩,齐国的声威一直保持了几十年。

中国有句俗语,“一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳”。

这个俗语真要讲的就是,很久很久以前,人们还都是用井水的那个年代。有两个小朋友,名字叫做“一朝”和“十年”,他们是好朋友,每天都在一起玩耍、做游戏。有一天,他们在井边玩耍,突然,趴在井口边的“一朝”被一条攀在井绳上的蛇咬了一口。在一边的“十年”听到好朋友的哭喊赶快看过去,这时那条蛇已经逃之夭夭了。他只看到了井绳和好朋友“一朝”的痛苦。因为“十年”很年幼,所以他把井绳和痛苦联系在了一起,认为是井绳咬了好朋友。从那以后,就流传下来了“一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳”的说法。从这个故事中,可见人们对灾祸感受之深。

解释:比喻遭过一次挫折以后就变得胆小怕事

Long, long ago, people were still using well water in those days.There were two children, called the “once” and “Decade,” they were good friends and played together every day.One day, they played near the well, suddenly,” once” was bitten by a snake climbing on the hemp rope when he lying on the wellhead side.“Decade” , on the other side , heard the cry of friend and quickly run to look at him, when the snake had been away.He only saw hemp rope and “once” suffering.Because the “Decade” very young, so he link hemp rope and suffering together, considered hemp rope bitten his friend.Since then, they have been handed down on “once bitten, twice shy”.This idiom Metaphor: people becomes too timid after a setback.

第五篇:励志英语(中英对照)

好运就是当机会来临时,而你已经做好了准备。

Good luck is when an opportunity comes along and you’re prepared for it.努力过,失败过,没关系。屡战屡败,屡败屡战,每一次失败都比上一次更好。Ever tried, ever failed.No matter, try again, fail again.Fail better.对于现状的不满,不能只是抱怨,要有勇气做出改变。

If you are not satisfied with the live you living, don’t just complain, do something about it.靠过去完成的无法让人保有成功,必须在路上持续交出成绩。

A fellow doesn’t last long on what he has done, he’s got to keep on delivering as he goes on.别低估了慷慨的力量。

Generosity is its own form of power.成功无法保证,并非唾手可得。成功必须靠自己去争取。

Success is not guaranteed.It is not handed to you, Success is earned.如果你独处时感到寂寞,说明没有把自己陪好。

If you’re lonely when you are alone, you’re in bad company。

父亲最大的梦想就是孩子的生活是充满欢乐的。

A father’s greatest dream is that his child’s life is filled with joy。

你的从内心深处找到一种可以忍受一切痛苦的坚强力量时,你的成长历程就会出现飞跃。The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt。

伟大的门将不是靠神奇的扑救成就的,而是靠注重小事和细节。

It’s not about making the amazing saves.It’s the little things and small things that made great gatekeepers great.不要等待好事降临,你要向幸福进发。

Don’t wait for good things to happen to you.You need walk towards happiness.有时候要到达谷底,才会慢慢变好。

Sometimes things have to fall apart to make way for better things.我会回去,找到你,爱你,娶你,活的光明正大。

I will return, find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.热爱生活,生活也会厚爱你。

If you love life, life will love you back.你是什么样的人和你想成为什么样的人的差距就是你做了什么。

The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.你需要尽你所能,最大限度的努力,只要你这么做,只要你能保持乐观,你就会看见乌云背后的幸福线。

You have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest.And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining.请记住,幸福不在于你是谁或者你拥有什么,而仅仅取决于你的心态。

Remember, happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have, it depends solely upon what you think.无论未来何去何从,我们在一起的每一年都是我人生中最辉煌的日子,我永远属于你。No matter what happen to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life, I will always be yours.生活变得美好,不是偶然,而是我们努力改变的结果。

Life gets better not by chance, but by change.人生不如意之事十之八九。

Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you thought they would.追寻自己,追求挑战、希望、爱情、愤怒、感恩,追寻光阴,追寻黑暗、追寻一切,不留恋过往。

Claim yourself in defiance, in hope、in love、in fury、in gratitude、claim the light ,claim the dark ,claim it all ,nothing can stay。

当我们下定决心面对世界上所有的事物,包括荆棘难题,就已经打赢了半场战役。

We win the battle when we make up our minds to take the world as we find it, including the thorns.从今天开始,我要积极地接受一切,接受爱,迎接挑战,拥抱生活;不管什么我都会勇敢地接受。

From now on , I am gonna say yes to love, yes to adventure, yes to life, whatever it maybe, the answer’s going to be yes.正真地友情是,即使两个人不说话,也觉得很舒服。

True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.生活就是這樣,你一直想要得到的東西,總在你不指望的那一刻姍姍來遲。

It is the rule of life that everything you have always wanted comes the very second you stop looking for it.有理想,却不愿为之努力,那是空想。

There’s no point having wishes if you don’t at least try to do them.上天会把你带走,看着你,对你说,只有一件事可以让灵魂完整,那就是爱。

Heave will take you back and look at you and say ,“only one thing can make a soul complete-and that thing is love”.目标有价值,生活才有价值。

Life has a value only when it has something valuable as its object.最美好的事是看到某人的微笑;更美好的事是她因你而微笑。

The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.And even more beautiful is, knowing that you are the reason behind it.生活中要记住三个单词:选择、机会和改变。你必须做出选择,抓住机会,否则你的生活只会一成不变。

The 3’cs of life:choice, chance and change, you must make a choice to take a chance or your life will nerve change.世间万物都处在微妙的平衡中。

Everything you see exists together in delicate balance.生活就像淋浴,方向转错,水深火热。

Life is like a shower, one wrong turn and you’re in hot water.Love and sense are enemies at any age.在任何年龄,爱与理性都是对立的。

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.这一刻全力以赴,下一刻便可抢占先机。

Opportunities are not offered, they must be wrested and worked for.And this calls for perseverance and courage.有时候,最难的并非是放下过去,而是学会重行开始。

Sometimes the hardest part is not letting go, but rather, learning to start over.要走得快,就一个人走;要走的远,就一起走。

If you want to go fast, go alone;If you want to go far, go together.一见钟情只是瞬息之间,而对爱大彻大悟却需要很多年。

It takes no time to fall in love, but it takes you years to know what love is.上天就像导演电影那样安排我们的人生,中间的起起伏伏,为的只是做好的完美收场。God’s plan is like a movie.All the good and bad things are arranged together for the good ending.沉湎于虚幻的梦想而忘记现实的生活是毫无益处的。

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forgot to live.(dwell :居住于、存在于)

得意时,朋友识我。失意时,我识朋友。

In prosperity our friends know us.In adversity we know our friends.(adversity:逆境、不幸、灾难)

迈向任何地方的第一步,就是下决心不在原地踏步。

The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.每段故事都有一个结局,但是在人的一生中,每个终点同时也是一个新的起点。Everything has an end.But in life, every ending is just a new beginning.生活不是发现你自己,而是创造你自己。

Life is not find yourself, life is creating yourself.不去尝试,就什么也不可能。

Anything unattempted remains impossible.有时候,幸福只需转变一下自己的态度。

Sometimes happiness is just a matter of attitude adjustment.不必变得强壮,而是让内心强大。

It’s not always necessary to be strong, but to feel strong.如果你等的船没有向你驶来,那你就朝它游过去吧。

If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it.每天醒来都要变得比昨天更强大,只是恐惧,擦干泪水。

Wake up stronger than yesterday, face your fear and wipe your tears.

下载经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)五篇范文word格式文档
下载经典英语成语故事:一技之长(中英对照)五篇范文.doc
将本文档下载到自己电脑,方便修改和收藏,请勿使用迅雷等下载。
点此处下载文档

文档为doc格式


声明:本文内容由互联网用户自发贡献自行上传,本网站不拥有所有权,未作人工编辑处理,也不承担相关法律责任。如果您发现有涉嫌版权的内容,欢迎发送邮件至:645879355@qq.com 进行举报,并提供相关证据,工作人员会在5个工作日内联系你,一经查实,本站将立刻删除涉嫌侵权内容。

相关范文推荐

    英语电影剧本大全(中英对照)大全

    目 录 《泰坦尼克号》全部英文剧本 .............................................................. 1 Mamma mia! 《妈妈咪呀》 ............................................

    英语演讲比赛 中英对照

    I know what my student needLadies and Gentlemen,the next five minutes I will show you my idea about my teaching experience .The topic of my lecture is “I know......

    六年级英语成语故事

    英语成语故事: Putting the Finishing Touch to the Picture of a Dragon (画龙点睛) In the Southern and Northern Dynasties Period (420-589), there was a painter called......

    英语成语故事:指鹿为马

    英语成语故事:指鹿为马 In Qin dynasty, there was a powerful and evil counselor named Zhao Gao。 在秦朝,有个很得势的奸臣叫赵高。 Zhao Gao wanted to rebel, but he......

    一定要有一技之长演讲稿

    我觉得人要有一技之长呢,比学历更重要,这是我一直要跟这些小朋友讲的,很多的父母他们都会希望你的将来就是他们这个样子或者是他们,可能,你知道有些当不了歌手,希望自己小孩是歌手......

    中英对照幽默英语签名(合集)

    中英对照幽默英语签名(2006-06-23 13:57:48) 标签:音乐 so to work are 中英对照 幽分类:我的资料-趣味英语 默 英语 签名 常用英语 缩略语 Money is not everything. There's......

    英语法术语汇总(中英对照)

    英语语法术语汇总(中英对照) 英语语法术语(中英对照) 语法 grammar 句法 syntax 词法 morphology 句子 sentence 从句 clause 词组 phrase 词类 part of speech 单词 word 实词......

    父亲节英语作文(中英对照)

    父亲节英语作文(中英对照) 花是大自然最美妙的礼物。每个人都喜欢它们。花象征着爱,幸福,欢乐以及所有积极的情感。而那些古老悠久的花已经成为所有仪式和节日中最主要的部分。......